A very rare opportunity has arisen to acquire this Historical Grade II Listed property in a secluded location looking out onto open fields. Cedar End is part of the south westerly wing of the former Wingerworth Hall which was demolished in 1926.
Aptly named after the Majestic Cedar Tree that used to stand proud at the entrance door. This delightful family residence has been home to the current occupants for many years. Cedar End is formed over three levels with generously proportioned rooms and displays exposed character and charm within. The property is entered through double doors into an entrance dining room, there is a spacious sitting room with an open fire place and exposed chimney breast, a kitchen and a ground floor WC. On the first floor there are two double bedrooms and a bathroom. Stairs rise to a further double bedroom space.
The property is located in the Wingerworth Hall Estate which can be accessed via a private drive off Longedge Rise/Longedge Drive. The position offers a unique secluded environment with out looking views across open fields and woodland. There is ease of access to a village community and amenities including the village Church, primary schools, shops, pubs and doctors etc. Wingerworth is a popular village on the outskirts of Chesterfield, a historic market town with ample shopping amenities and commuter links.
Dining Room 5.5m x 3.5m
This fabulous entrance dining room offers a first impression to the rustic, characterful nature of this residence. The floor is laid with wooden parquet blocks, there is a mixture of timber internal doors, wooden panelling to the walls and stair case, high plate racks, exposed stone and brick wall areas and access to all other first floor rooms.
Sitting Room 5.5m x 4.4m
The light and airy sitting room has a continued wooden Parquet flooring, an exposed chimney breast with open fire and three large sash windows.
Kitchen 5.15 x 2.4
A rustic farmhouse kitchen with bespoke units, space for a small table and dresser unit. There is a Belfast sink unit, cooker space, space for further appliances and a large sash window to the front.
Ground Floor WC
Located off the Entrance dining room
First floor Landing
Offering access to two double bedrooms and the bathroom whilst having stair cases rising up and leading down. There is a window to the rear aspect and a characterful wall with exposed stone.
Bedroom One 4.4m x3.4
A double bedroom space having windows to the front and side aspect
Bedroom Three 3.6m x 3.5m
Another double bedroom space having a large sash window to the front aspect.
Bathroom 3.35m x 1.9m
A traditional Bathroom suite appointed with a free standing roll top bath, wc, hand wash basin and a separate shower cubicle.
Bedroom Two 5.15m x 3.0m
A light and airy bedroom space having a large sash window to the front, a smaller window to the side and a thoughtful seating area whereas to enjoy views across the open grounds.
The property is approached via a private driveway which in turn swings to the front of the property. The property enjoys the benefit of having an open green aspect to the front with a woodland aspect off to the side. There is an array of cottage style rockery areas with a pond, walkways and a brick workshop.
A Historical Perspective
The publication by Elizabeth Heathcote Eisenberg states that the manor of Wingerworth was given to the Brailsford family in the 12th century by King Henry ll. The manor house at that time was built of stone, having replaced a barn-like wooden building of a century earlier. Situated on a ridge overlooking the Rother Valley some 2 1/2 miles south of Chesterfield, it's living quarters were on the first floor, approached by a flight of outside steps, while the lower storey was used entirely for animals and stores.
The Curzons of Kedleston who later inherited the manor built a new hall about 1513. This was leased by Nicholas Hunloke in 1545 and, in 1582 his son bought it outright, together with the manor. Thereafter, succeeding members of the Hunloke family were in possession, if not in residence for almost 400 years.
This building was demolished in 1726 and a new mansion, built by Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, was completed 3 years later. Constructed of stone from the Alton quarries, it was designed by Talman, the builder of Chatsworth House."
David G Edwards publication, The Hunlokes of Wingerworth Hall, states that "Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke was reported to have retired to Staffordshire during the rebuilding, which suggests that the new Hall was more or less constructed on the same site as the old one. The position of the new Hall, which was demolished in 1924, was between and immediately in front of the two annexes which still survive, as well as the stables, and which formerly housed kitchens, the estate office, servants quarters etc and the private Roman Catholic chapel. The fact that the two annexes, which were not integral with the new Hall proper, have mullioned and transomed windows, except for the south wall of the Southern annexe, in contrast to the Georgian sash windows of the Hall itself, suggests that they are of earlier date, perhaps built by Sir Henry Hunloke IV in the 17'" century as an extension of the old Hall. The date 1698 which was on a stone in the west porch of the new Hall confirms that there was some intermediate building work.
The architect, or rather master mason, of the new Hall, was probably Francis Smith of
Warwick, who with his brother William, was noted for several fine houses including Sutton Scarsdale Hall. It is thought that there may be some truth in the suggestion that he worked from plans drawn up by Talman, the architect of Chatsworth House, but Wingerworth Hall showed Smith's trademarks, emphasised keystones, which appeared on all the windows, and tall columns flanking fireplaces, as in the saloon. The balustrade surmounted by its globes and urns is reminiscent of that at Chatsworth however. The building, in classical or
Georgian style, had two main storeys with an attic and a half-sunk basement. The main, east, facade was nine bays wide, the centre three projecting slightly, whereas the sides were of seven bays.
The centre three bays of the main facade were fronted with a stone stairway leading to the central main entrance, which was a doorway flanked by fluted pilasters and surmounted by a frieze and a broken pediment displaying the family coat of arms. The north and south sides also had pedimented doorways and the south side a projecting centre. The westward facing rear had a recessed centre. The stonework was smooth ashlar, with rusticated quoins, on the central projections as well as the main corners. A further feature was a pair of corbels under each windowsill. The stone as mentioned above was the Crawshaw medium grained sandstone, obtained from the quarrv at Alton.
The Hall was constructed such that the front east facing elevation had panoramic views over the surrounding countryside as there would have been little industrial activity in the early 18m century to spoil the view to the east, and the fall of the ground is greater on this side than towards the west.
Unfortunately, in the 1920 auction of the Hunloke estate the Hall and park were withdrawn owing to a lack of bidders. A further attempt to sell the Hall also failed and eventually in April 1924, it was sold to a contractor for demolition which began the following month."