SALE AGREED PRIOR TO MARKETING
A very rare opportunity has arisen to acquire this Historical Grade II Listed property in a secluded location looking out onto open fields. The Estate House form the south westerly wing of the former Wingerworth Hall which was demolished in 1926. This fabulous property sits within approximately on a private road. The property has not been occupied for some time and requires upgrade.
The property is located in the Wingerworth Hall Estate which can be accessed via a private drive off Longedge Rise/Longedge Drive. The position offers a unique secluded environment with out looking views across open fields and woodland. There is ease of access to a village community and amenities including the village Church, primary schools, shops, pubs and doctors etc. Wingerworth is a popular village on the outskirts of Chesterfield, a historic market town with ample shopping amenities and commuter links.
There is no denying that this property is and has fantastic potential. It does however require some major refurbishment so maybe it's not for everyone! The property oozes with charm from it's distinguished high ceilings to it's quirky vaulted safe. Internally there is an entrance hall, sitting room, dining room, kitchen, three bedrooms and a bathroom. There are large sash windows to the front aspect and the property has been stripped back to show a blank canvass.
To the front of the property there is a driveway providing off road parking and gardens laid to lawn.
A Historical Perspective
The publication by Elizabeth Heathcote Eisenberg states that the manor of Wingerworth was given to the Brailsford family in the 12th century by King Henry ll. The manor house at that time was built of stone, having replaced a barn-like wooden building of a century earlier. Situated on a ridge overlooking the Rother Valley some 2 1/2 miles south of Chesterfield, it's living quarters were on the first floor, approached by a flight of outside steps, while the lower storey was used entirely for animals and stores.
The Curzons of Kedleston who later inherited the manor built a new hall about 1513. This was leased by Nicholas Hunloke in 1545 and, in 1582 his son bought it outright, together with the manor. Thereafter, succeeding members of the Hunloke family were in possession, if not in residence for almost 400 years.
This building was demolished in 1726 and a new mansion, built by Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, was completed 3 years later. Constructed of stone from the Alton quarries, it was designed by Talman, the builder of Chatsworth House."
David G Edwards publication, The Hunlokes of Wingerworth Hall, states that "Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke was reported to have retired to Staffordshire during the rebuilding, which suggests that the new Hall was more or less constructed on the same site as the old one. The position of the new Hall, which was demolished in 1924, was between and immediately in front of the two annexes which still survive, as well as the stables, and which formerly housed kitchens, the estate office, servants quarters etc and the private Roman Catholic chapel. The fact that the two annexes, which were not integral with the new Hall proper, have mullioned and transomed windows, except for the south wall of the Southern annexe, in contrast to the Georgian sash windows of the Hall itself, suggests that they are of earlier date, perhaps built by Sir Henry Hunloke IV in the 17'" century as an extension of the old Hall. The date 1698 which was on a stone in the west porch of the new Hall confirms that there was some intermediate building work.
The architect, or rather master mason, of the new Hall, was probably Francis Smith of
Warwick, who with his brother William, was noted for several fine houses including Sutton Scarsdale Hall. It is thought that there may be some truth in the suggestion that he worked from plans drawn up by Talman, the architect of Chatsworth House, but Wingerworth Hall showed Smith's trademarks, emphasised keystones, which appeared on all the windows, and tall columns flanking fireplaces, as in the saloon. The balustrade surmounted by its globes and urns is reminiscent of that at Chatsworth however. The building, in classical or
Georgian style, had two main storeys with an attic and a half-sunk basement. The main, east, facade was nine bays wide, the centre three projecting slightly, whereas the sides were of seven bays.
The centre three bays of the main facade were fronted with a stone stairway leading to the central main entrance, which was a doorway flanked by fluted pilasters and surmounted by a frieze and a broken pediment displaying the family coat of arms. The north and south sides also had pedimented doorways and the south side a projecting centre. The westward facing rear had a recessed centre. The stonework was smooth ashlar, with rusticated quoins, on the central projections as well as the main corners. A further feature was a pair of corbels under each windowsill. The stone as mentioned above was the Crawshaw medium grained sandstone, obtained from the quarrv at Alton.
The Hall was constructed such that the front east facing elevation had panoramic views over the surrounding countryside as there would have been little industrial activity in the early 18m century to spoil the view to the east, and the fall of the ground is greater on this side than towards the west.
Unfortunately, in the 1920 auction of the Hunloke estate the Hall and park were withdrawn owing to a lack of bidders. A further attempt to sell the Hall also failed and eventually in April 1924, it was sold to a contractor for demolition which began the following month."